Friday, October 10, 2008

Day 39, Friday, Oct 10, Allentown to Gettysburg, PA



We had been at the Gettysburg battlefield for several hours and it was getting late in the day, but before we headed off to look for lodging for the night Linda prevailed on me to stop and take time to survey the National Military Cemetary, the dedication of which brought an invitation for President Abraham Lincoln to participate, and which gave to the nation and the world the words which are regarded as the finest expression of the English language in any time, place or age: The Gettysburg Address.

I am so glad we stopped and took the time to visit this historic place. This bust of Lincoln sits near the entrance to the cemetary. He was, in my opinion, a man raised up by God to preserve the Union, in a way similar to those great men, our founding fathers who established our country and framed our Constitution. I have the greatest admiration for him.

1 comment:

ann said...

This is the day I have been waiting for! I hope seeing this place that you've read so much about was everything you hoped it would be.

It is a place, you of all people, dad, had to visit. You can now cross it off your bucket list!

I love that you found a chapman rd.
and the village of chapman, too cool!