Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Day 16, Wed Sept 17, Palmyra Temple and Cumorah

When we arrived at the Palmyra Temple to attend
the 11 am session on Wednesday, Sept 17, we were met at the recommend desk by this man, who upon looking at Terry's recommend said, "Brother Chapman don't you recognize me? You and I served together in the New England Mission."
I admitted I didn't know who he was, though he did look familiar. He smiled and said, "Elder Yancey." Then of course, I remembered. Elder Marvin Yancey. He had been a Traveling Elder (like a Zone Leader today). He and his companion Elder Gerald Flake had visited Elder Walker and I when we were stationed in Dover, NH. We had fed them a very bad meal and given them a place to bed down for the night in our little apartment.
After the Temple session he introduced us to his wife Linda. They reside in Blackfoot, Idaho and are serving a Temple Mission in Palmyra. They have a daughter living in Rexburg.
We met Ron and EdieTimmerman, who were in our session. They are from St. George and knew Jeffery and Kristi from their previous years in Dixie Downs area. Brother Timmerman said he served with Jeffery on the High Council.
We also met Elder and Sister Dugger who are serving at the Temple from Mesa. When you are a member of the Church it is indeed a small world!

3 comments:

ann said...

You are probably getting sick of my comments but I just wanted to say thanks for the updates, I can't wait to do a church history trip myself. It obvious that it's an awesome trip that every member of the church would love.

David and Meredith said...

What fun connections you have been making with so many people! Your pictures are all so beautiful! Thank you for sharing all of your neat experiences with us!

richnliz said...

I have to admit I look forward to seeing what Mom and Dad are up to next on there big adventure. Thanks to Ann for starting this now we can see exactlty what you are doing everyday instead of waiting until you get back or trying to cram into one big e-mail.

It is a small world after all!! Speaking of it's a small world wouldn't it be great if Mom and Dad could take the entire family to Disneyland for their 50th and we all had matching t-shirts we would probably make the newspaper with our big crowd and I am sure we would run into someone we know.

*if you click on the picture of the Temple doors you can really see the detail it's beautiful. :)